Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election elation

Whew! What a great day for our country. I knew I'd be happy, but I didn't know how happy till I was in the Liberty Elm Diner with a great group waiting for the election results. We stayed to see Obama get a healthy lead and then headed over to the official RI Democratic Party party in the ballroom on the 17th floor of the Biltmore Hotel where I took great pleasure in seeing McCain's concession speech. I have to admit it was a very good speech, he showed more class in that one speech than I had seen in the last months of campaigning. Had Palin been allowed to speak, I suspect her tone would have been quite different.


After that it just a matter of trying to crowd into the tiny elevators to get back to the car and drive to my sister's house in time to watch Obama's speech and pop open that long awaited bottle of champagne. A great night. A great speech.

And what made it even better the next day was to see the reaction from around the world. The sight of other countries waving the American flag and cheering made me feel very proud. It was a sight I didn't think I'd see again.

I know that this doesn't mean the world really loves us and all our problems are over, but at least now I feel there is some HOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails