Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grant me

Once again, I made my yearly trek over to the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts on deadline day (Oct. 1) to drop off my application for the RISCA artist grant. RISCA is cool in that they anticipate the last minute rush and set up a table just inside the door of the Capitol Building where the Council has its offices so that one can just park in the drop-off lane and rush in with the application. Us busy artists appreciate that! I also appreciated seeing my friend Liz Keithline, a fine artist herself, behind the table. She is perfect for the arts council, seeming to know everyone and everything going on in the arts community in R.I. (and beyond) and having a curiousity and excitement about all of it. (and she has nothing to do with actually choosing the grantees -- so I have no ulterior motives here!)

As I was chatting with Liz my eye was caught by the large and intricate paintings The Atrium Gallery behind her. The exhibit was of paintings by Augustin Patino. I didn't have a lot of time to look, but the more I did, the more I saw in the paintings. The work was full of detail without being fussy, the best being the piles of wrecked cars spreading in fungus-like patches over the apocalyptical landscapes. It's a show a show definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails