Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art and taxes

To paraphrase a famous phrase, nothing is certain except art and taxes, and after a fairly good morning of the former, I have to deal with the latter tonight. Which is why I'm procrastinating by sitting in a coffee shop blogging...

I've almost finished compiling my year's receipts, and I'm shocked! shocked! to find I will take a loss again this year, despite having a one person show that I worked 3 years to put together. Usually my tax accountant encourages me to try and declare a profit, no matter how small, for about 3 out of 5 years, to keep the IRS from considering me a "hobbyist". But damn it, this year I'm going to take my loss proudly. With just about every other business crying about losses this year, I don't think I need to pretend I'm profitable. I don't even get the nice bonus checks that the big corporations, including the one I work for, give out to their (mis)managers.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can deduct the cost of the coffee I drink while blogging....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails