Monday, August 23, 2010

Heading West

Here's a better picture of the painting I just sent out to the Great Sand Dunes. I did make the one year deadline, but not by much.  It's "in the mail" though, and should arrive at the park in a week.

The painting is of my favorite place in the park, the summit of the immense dunes on the east side of the dunefield, where they nestle against the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in a more streamlined version of its peaks and valleys. It takes about an hour of exhausting climbing in the soft sand to get to the top but once up there, if you plan your route carefully, you can walk for a long distance across the broad summits and never see another person. Up there I found this little corpse of a Camel Cricket, an ironic sign of life half buried in the sand.

2 comments:

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails