Thursday, March 6, 2014

Icing

 

While kayaking in Prince William Sound ice was often on my mind, under the surface, floating by in sofa sized chunks, or towering above like the skyline of NYC. Mostly I was thinking about avoiding a collision with my kayak, but I also wanted to figure out what made ice tick. Transparency has always fascinated me, and I held my camera close to the surface of icebergs to try to capture its inner life. When I returned and began to interpret it in paint I researched (or as I like to call it, googled) the structure of ice,  finding molecular diagrams and even cool animations of how ice forms melts.



I wanted to incorporate the molecular structure into a new painting I am working on, but the 2 dimensional diagrams were limited as models, so the only thing to do was to build my own. I can't wait to get back to the studio and take it for a test drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails