Wednesday, February 23, 2011

There's gold in them thar hills

Here's my latest study for my new series. The setting is an old gold mine I found in the Sangre de Cristo mountains during my artist residency in the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado.  Didn't see any raccoons out there, but they'd no doubt like to explore if they could.

I'm in the process of gathering info to apply for another national park artist residency for this summer or fall. There are some good ones out there, but they are not especially well publicized. That helps my chances I guess so I don't mind doing some digging.

The gold mine study was done on a piece of flocked black paper and pastels that I inherited from the studio of Louise Marianetti. I hadn't worked on flocked paper before and am not sure the softness suits my work. It might be nice for portraits though, which is probably why she liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails